Sunday, March 3, 2013
When purchased, our tachometer didn't have a pointer/needle. I found it later in a box with other gauges and parts. The pointer was in horrible condition. I purchased a new pointer but when I tried to install it there wasn't anything to attach it too. The pin that the pointer attaches to was missing. I found it in the old pointer. That's it in the picture.
This is the piece with the broken shaft. After searching the Internet I couldn't find anyone that sells replacement parts. It's too small to weld and glue won't work. I decided to repair the piece by fabricating a new pin.
Using my mini-lathe I made a new pin out of brass.
This shows the damaged shaft with broken end piece. My fabricated brass piece is also shown.
I decided later that the brass probably wouldn't hold up. I made a new one out of a grade 5 bolt. The exacto is pointing to the steel one.
I trimmed back the shaft then cut a brass tube to couple the two pieces.
5 minute epoxy was used to hold everything together.
It's hard to see but we now have a pin to attach the pointer.
It works great.
A couple days ago I posted about the windshield wiper motor. If you missed it check it out.