Sunday, December 13, 2009
Repairing a 1963 Corvette B Pillar
I thought I'd show you how I am repairing damage to the drivers side B pillar on our Corvette. I used this process on the passenger side and it turned out tough as nails so I am sticking with it. This first picture is the upper drivers side B pillar and it's about half way through the restoration process. When I cut this out of the car originally it was so deteriorated it came out in two pieces. There was nothing left of the piece we discuss below. Nothing. I cut, trimmed and folded a piece of photo paper until it fit where I wanted the next piece of sheet metal to go.
I used a permanent marker to trace the outline of the paper onto the sheet metal.
After the sheet metal was cut I bent the metal to match the paper folds.
Holes were punched where I wanted to plug weld then I put a series of straight cuts between the holes on the farthest flange and V cuts on the closest flange. These cuts will allow me to contour the item.
Starting at the intersection of the B pillar and the window frame I clamped tight then plug welded each hole.
As I worked from left to right I was able to easily bend the piece because of the straight cuts and V's.
After all the plug welds were made I went back and welded all of the straight cuts and V's.
The welds were ground flush then sandblasted to remove any residue. I'll smooth over the welds with JB Weld to eliminate any areas that might collect moisture.
Ty T. has been working on the passenger side A pillar. I'll show you those pictures in an upcoming post.